About Me

My photo
Florida, United States

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Everyone is a Critic


I'm not what you would expect. I know, I know, some people completely rely on their first impressions, but I've got to say that they are usually false. And that also makes me a hypocrite. Let me explain.

You know when you're out with your friends (this may only apply to the ladies), say you have a group of three or more and drinks have been flowing and you're having a great time and in walks THAT group....The group of girls that just make you want to roll your eyes...

Usually, all of them are wearing mini dresses, too high high heels, all of them carrying fake Prada, Coach or Dolce & Gabbana bags. And I make a snap judgement....

Daddy issues, desperately seeking attention and praying for acceptance from older men, preferably with money and handsome in a Richard Gere, Pretty Woman sort of way.

Or when you're at the beach and someone in a ghastly speedo walks by and I automatically think they must be from Europe (no offense to my European friends out there, you know who you are).

Or when a big truck with a rebel flag displayed across the hood pulls up at the gas station, out steps this guy with a John Deere ball cap, wranglers, Justin boots and a big wad of chew and I automatically think his name is "Bubba".

Harsh, huh?

But to be fair, I'm judged just as harshly. I know, as I've been told on multiple occasions what many of my friend's first impressions of me usually are (after they get to know me, of course, and their original ideas are smashed to smithereens). They think....wait for it...here it comes...

That I'm a stuck up bitch.

Yes, it's true.....not that I'm a stuck up bitch...but...you know what I mean.

And I can see where many would think that, what with my great beauty and completely flawless fashion sense....Kidding, kidding....

I tend to be quiet, and I dress conservatively (as in, if my pants are tight, I'm wearing a turtle neck, if my shirt is tight, I've got on loose boyfriend pants, blazers are wonderful and if my heel is over 3", I'm swaying around at about six one, so I avoid excessively tall heels and stick to low heeled boots (unless I'm really dressing up, then the taller the better). I know. I sound boring. But something about me makes people think that I think I'm too good to socialize with them. I don't get it, and it couldn't be further from the truth.

So, my advice is this:

Exercise caution when passing out snap judgements about people. Some of my really good friends wouldn't be my friends if they would've stuck to their first impressions. It took a little charm (and a lot of tequila) but I eventually wormed my way into their hearts.

So I am determined to work on my tendency to judge others right off the bat. I wouldn't call it a New Year's resolution, as I don't believe in them, and think that if you set them, you're pretty much setting yourself up for failure, but it's definitely a goal I have. I want to be nicer. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I'm willing to try. However, I definitely don't want to be known as the perky cheerleader type, either. It's a balancing act....and in case you guys didn't read before, I'm not exactly coordinated.

On that note, here is a video about not judging too quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Laurie,

    I like that I can eat my dog's shit, straight out of his ass, and that you still don't judge me.

    Wanna bite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With your shit, I could, dare I say it, rule the world."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work for Ameriquest. Back before it went under, of course.

    ReplyDelete