About Me

My photo
Florida, United States

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Should've Been A Band Geek......


One of my great pleasures in life is music.

Do I believe that rock 'n roll can save your soul? Hell, yeah I do.

I don't have a musically talented bone in my body. I can't sing (although I'm certainly not shy about doing a little kareoke), I don't play any instruments (although I do have an entire drum set and several guitars in my house...don't ask), and writing music holds zero interest for me (Taylor Swift can keep it). But there is something about it...

When you enter my car, you never know if you're going to be blasted with a little Free Bird, or Dolly Parton's rendition of I Will Always Love You. I enjoy Elton John, occasionally a little Eminem (I find him humorous), know every song on Metallica's Black album by heart, and I truly do not believe George Strait has recorded a song that I don't enjoy.

There are radios located all over my house, along with televisions, which are usually tuned to some type of music station. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to network television. I have no idea what comes on when and I frankly don't care. There are a handful of shows that I've seen every episode of, mostly on dvd when the next season is being aired. I'm not what you would call a patient person, so I can't stand to be left hanging, wondering for a full week if someone is going to die or have sex. I'll wait for the season to go on sale, thank you very much. But music....there's instant gratification to be found it that.

We have a radio system in the garage and sometimes, late at night, I'll go out and lay in the basketball court and watch the stars while some station plays oldies. My husband would probably think I'm on something if he ever caught me doing this, but there is something about the sounds of that music from long ago that reverberate through my head and chest and takes me somewhere else.

Maybe the sound of Ella Fitzgerald singing so beautifully in her emotion laced voice, and Louis Armstrong....or the sincerity to be heard in some of country music's legends...Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Lorretta Lynn...

One thing that I hope to leave my children with is the love of music.

Music can take you places, just as books will. Sometimes, a certain song will come on and it will bring me back to a moment that I had long forgotten, sometimes a song will come on and I'll envision myself somewhere far from where my physical form sits. Or maybe, the perfect words have been put to music and it will give me a feeling of love for my husband, or a sad song will come on and a tear will come from somewhere that I forgot existed. Music is powerful and it's one of my great loves.

1 comment:

  1. Hi-love your blog! thanks for the comments/advice--really need them right now!
    I totally agree with you-music AND books can sooo take you places! Sometimes I feel they are my only escape:)

    ReplyDelete